4/15/11

Confession #1.

The most appealing career choice I could possibly fathom would be... housewife. I don't tell anyone about this. I'm pretty sure the only person I've told is my best friend, John. It's probably the most shameful thing I could ever admit, for several reasons. Let's cover all the bases.

Is that even a real job?
First of all, I'm pretty sure that this has the potential to be the easiest job in the whole world. Especially since I would never have more than two children. It's environmentally (yeah, I went there) and financially irresponsible. But anyway, when they went to school, I would just be cleaning house. Even i can admit that that's pretty lazy.

I'm never going to marry a millionaire.
I don't plan on marrying anyone rich enough to justify me not having an income. I would have to be financially dependent on another person, and the idea of that makes me incredibly uncomfortable. If I have children, they're going to need college funds. Social security is drying up; saving for retirement, if even possible, is a must.

I'm getting a degree for what?
I'm not going to sit here and pretend that I'm not smart. If I put in any sort of minimal effort, it's pretty much impossible for me to fail academically. Not that I think that education for the sake of education isn't important, but everyone expects me to have some amazing, impressive job someday. I do have the resources and skill to achieve this, but honestly most of the time I wonder if that's what I really want. Recognition of success means absolutely nothing to me, but my relationships are incredibly important.

Feminism.
Which coincidentally, I hate. Okay, okay. I can see the merits of radical activism at the beginning of a movement for social change, but after awhile I feel as if it becomes counterproductive. It stops promoting equality, and forces the opposing forces into an endless battle mentality. But anyways, people will accuse me of not being a "strong woman" if I opt for being a housewife. Which is really ridiculous, because part of my rights should be being able to choose what I want to do. But no, I need to use my gift of intelligence to represent my gender.

So why do I want to be a housewife? Like I said, relationships are important to me. If I have children, the idea of them being raised by someone else just seems completely inappropriate to me. I would want to be there for them 24/7 throughout their early childhood. Also, I really like taking care of people. I'm always cleaning up after my friends, and I can't count the number of times I've cooked and/or baked for my family and Lindsey. I've always had a weird affinity for cleaning houses, too. There's just something extremely satisfying and stress-relieving about cleaning. I have a habit of cleaning up when I'm really stressed out, which oddly a guy I knew in high school pointed out to me in Biology freshman year (fun fact?)

Ideally, someday I would have a husband who would want to work with me on this, without the issue being gender role related, whether he views it as a positive or negative idea based on that. I would probably want to work from home, something that would utilize my Chinese skills, which I spend a ridiculous amount of time developing. That way I could work/nurture/clean. I want to live in the middle of fucking nowhere, and I want a cow that will be like an adopted child to me. Probably none of this will happen, but I think it's important to realize that you, like everyone else, have dreams that will never come to fruition. (lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment